The Snake Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Snake Forum

The Snake Forum is one of the few places for Reptile related chat.

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Bitis rhinoceros what a beauty

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
ammodytes

ammodytes

Bitis rhinoceros what a beauty Empty
PostSubject: Bitis rhinoceros what a beauty   Bitis rhinoceros what a beauty EmptyWed Aug 11, 2010 3:32 am

Bitis rhinoceros what a beauty IMG_1132
Back to top Go down
Pseudechis
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Bitis rhinoceros what a beauty   Bitis rhinoceros what a beauty EmptyWed Aug 11, 2010 3:35 am

Absolutely gorgeous.

Looks like an appropiate weight, too. Most of the large Bitis are extremely overfed in captivity and carry a lot more un-needed weight than what they should do.

I am also liking the naturalistic look of the set up the snake is in. How old? What locality? CB or WC?
Back to top Go down
https://snakeforums.forumotion.com
Dendroaspis
Admin
Dendroaspis

PostSubject: Re: Bitis rhinoceros what a beauty   Bitis rhinoceros what a beauty EmptyWed Aug 11, 2010 3:39 am

Looks very good, Gabby's are awesome and he (if I remember correctly) is looking great, glad he's doing well with you.
Back to top Go down
ammodytes

ammodytes

PostSubject: Re: Bitis rhinoceros what a beauty   Bitis rhinoceros what a beauty EmptyWed Aug 11, 2010 3:44 am

I think our very own Dendroaspis would be able to answer your questions better than what I could, I am sure its CB, well I hope so at least Twisted Evil

I try with all my animals to make there enclosures look as naturalistic as possible, I feel good when my enclosures look good, as much as I love everything that goes into reptiles ie: cleaning,feeding and learning, I also find them to be amazing displays that are interesting to everyone not only reptile enthusiasts.
Back to top Go down
ammodytes

ammodytes

PostSubject: Re: Bitis rhinoceros what a beauty   Bitis rhinoceros what a beauty EmptyWed Aug 11, 2010 3:46 am

I will post more pics after his shed, as I told Dendroaspis, he has just come out of the blue and I expect a full shed waiting for me when I get home hopefully.
Back to top Go down
Dendroaspis
Admin
Dendroaspis

PostSubject: Re: Bitis rhinoceros what a beauty   Bitis rhinoceros what a beauty EmptyWed Aug 11, 2010 3:56 am

I am unsure of its locality, but it is CB (captive born) not CBB, the mother was more than likely a WC gravid. From what I was told the mother was imported gravid and the babies dropped in captivity
Back to top Go down
MacAdder

MacAdder

PostSubject: Re: Bitis rhinoceros what a beauty   Bitis rhinoceros what a beauty EmptyFri Aug 13, 2010 12:57 pm

Got a gaboon I'm trying to give back to the owner. Pretty animal but dang stupid if you ask me.
Back to top Go down
Dendroaspis
Admin
Dendroaspis

PostSubject: Re: Bitis rhinoceros what a beauty   Bitis rhinoceros what a beauty EmptyFri Aug 13, 2010 12:59 pm

you can send it to me? Smile
Back to top Go down
MacAdder

MacAdder

PostSubject: Re: Bitis rhinoceros what a beauty   Bitis rhinoceros what a beauty EmptyFri Aug 13, 2010 1:12 pm

The chap was WC and ended up not eating. Its taken a while but Ive got the oak eating and happily unstressed. Know I want the owner to make plan as I am not not cool with adders and vipers.
I am a cobra person. Its like being a dog or cat person.
Back to top Go down
Dendroaspis
Admin
Dendroaspis

PostSubject: Re: Bitis rhinoceros what a beauty   Bitis rhinoceros what a beauty EmptySat Aug 14, 2010 8:16 am

Yeah same here, I feel far more comfortable around elapids.
Back to top Go down
ammodytes

ammodytes

PostSubject: Re: Bitis rhinoceros what a beauty   Bitis rhinoceros what a beauty EmptyTue Aug 17, 2010 4:09 am

I must admit, I love all vipers, but my weekness is all the dwarf Bitis, I want to own every dwarf Bitis I can possibly get my hands on Smile
Back to top Go down
Pseudechis
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Bitis rhinoceros what a beauty   Bitis rhinoceros what a beauty EmptyTue Aug 17, 2010 4:49 am

I'm more of a Viper guy, personally.
Back to top Go down
opiophagus

PostSubject: Re: Bitis rhinoceros what a beauty   Bitis rhinoceros what a beauty EmptyTue Nov 23, 2010 8:24 am

ammodytes wrote:
Bitis rhinoceros what a beauty IMG_1132

real nice snake, i love gaboons Smile clown

Pseudechis wrote:
Absolutely gorgeous.

Looks like an appropiate weight, too. Most of the large Bitis are extremely overfed in captivity and carry a lot more un-needed weight than what they should do.

How often do you feed yours to make sure they dont get to fat? I think ikilled mine from over feeding, was feeding it one or twice a week! Too much perhaps~? Embarassed
Back to top Go down
ammodytes

ammodytes

PostSubject: Re: Bitis rhinoceros what a beauty   Bitis rhinoceros what a beauty EmptyThu Nov 25, 2010 1:18 am

This is the first Gaboon I have ever owned, it had an awesome feeding response and would take food all the time, I never once overfed this animal, and dont see the need to, they do not eat that much in the wild so should'nt change much in captivity. Thats just what I think. Over feeding these animals could definatly cause premature death, so just watch out next time, sorry for your loss.
Back to top Go down
Pseudechis
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Bitis rhinoceros what a beauty   Bitis rhinoceros what a beauty EmptyThu Nov 25, 2010 1:20 am

Don't fall into the trap, Ammodytes - That was clearly bullsh!t - Nobody feeds Gaboons even once a week as neonates, let alone fricken adults.
Back to top Go down
ammodytes

ammodytes

PostSubject: Re: Bitis rhinoceros what a beauty   Bitis rhinoceros what a beauty EmptyThu Nov 25, 2010 1:33 am

I will never fall into that trap, thats why I purchase a lot of my animals at sub adult or adult age, because I dont have the patience to get them to a decent size, and I sure as hell dont want to over feed them to get them to this size quickly Smile
Back to top Go down
Pseudechis
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Bitis rhinoceros what a beauty   Bitis rhinoceros what a beauty EmptyThu Nov 25, 2010 1:45 am

No, don't fall into opiophagus' trap...............He is talking BS for a reaction.
Back to top Go down
ammodytes

ammodytes

PostSubject: Re: Bitis rhinoceros what a beauty   Bitis rhinoceros what a beauty EmptyThu Nov 25, 2010 2:15 am

Oh ok, sorry havent been on the site for a while, so I didnt know that he was taking the piss,
Back to top Go down
Pseudechis
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Bitis rhinoceros what a beauty   Bitis rhinoceros what a beauty EmptyThu Nov 25, 2010 2:15 am

He's not even been on for a week, and taking the piss already. LOL.
Back to top Go down
ammodytes

ammodytes

PostSubject: Re: Bitis rhinoceros what a beauty   Bitis rhinoceros what a beauty EmptyThu Nov 25, 2010 2:26 am

haha, Its a shame aint it, there is one in every crowd.
Back to top Go down
opiophagus

PostSubject: Re: Bitis rhinoceros what a beauty   Bitis rhinoceros what a beauty EmptyThu Nov 25, 2010 2:32 am

Pseudechis wrote:
Don't fall into the trap, Ammodytes - That was clearly bullsh!t - Nobody feeds Gaboons even once a week as neonates, let alone fricken adults.

Yet again your makng it obvious you dont know what your talking about! one of the top Bitis people in the uk feeds his baby bitis approx. every 5 days, then slows down as they get bigger.

Pseudechis wrote:
No, don't fall into opiophagus' trap...............He is talking BS for a reaction.

Im no bullshitter. Aint see any pics of your collection mate?!

ammodytes wrote:
haha, Its a shame aint it, there is one in every crowd.

Haha, well atleast viperlover hasnt arrived yet Laughing Laughing Laughing

G
Back to top Go down
ammodytes

ammodytes

PostSubject: Re: Bitis rhinoceros what a beauty   Bitis rhinoceros what a beauty EmptyThu Nov 25, 2010 2:39 am

May I ask who is this top Bitis people you are talking about ??
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Bitis rhinoceros what a beauty   Bitis rhinoceros what a beauty Empty

Back to top Go down

Bitis rhinoceros what a beauty
Page 1 of 1